As a homeowner, knowing how to recognize whether your windows need replacement or repair is critical. Undetected damage leads to higher electricity bills, and in extreme cases, damaged windows can cause structural damage to your home as a result of increased humidity and weather exposure.
If you're unsure whether your windows need replacement or repair, keep an eye out for any of the indicators listed below. Windows that have them may need repairs or total replacement.
1. Windows Are Difficult To Open And CloseOne of the most common signs that your windows need to be replaced or repaired is if they're difficult to open and close. If you have to put a lot of effort into opening or closing your windows, it's time to get them checked out.
This issue could be due to frame damage, hardware, or bad seals. In some cases, it might be possible to repair the damage. However, if the damage is more severe, the window may need complete replacement.
2. Drafts Are Present When Windows Are ClosedIf drafts are present when windows are closed, it's a sign that they need professional attention.
If you're feeling drafts, it's usually due to bad seals or damaged frames. First, check the seals around your windows. If cracked or damaged, they need to be replaced.
If you're still feeling drafts after checking the seals, it's likely that the problem is with the window frame. If the frame is damaged, it will also need professional work. Cosmetic blemishes like chips and scratches can be repaired, but splits and breaks often need to be completely changed.
3. Windows Leak During Intense WeatherWindows that leak during rain, snow, or other intense weather can cause further damage to a home's structure. Left unrepaired, they can cause humidity issues, mold, and other problems that quickly become expensive to fix.
Water leakage is usually due to damaged seals or frames. To prevent new damage and prevent existing damage from getting worse, it's important to have the issue fixed as soon as possible.
4. Windows Are Visibly CrackedWindows with damaged glass can let warm air escape from your home during the winter, and cool air escape during the summer. As a result, you'll see an increase in your energy bills.
Cracked glass can also expose a home's interior to the elements, causing the same mold and humidity issues seen in homes with leaky windows.
If you have cracked windows, minor damage may be repairable if it's only to the glass. If the frame is also cracked, it likely needs to be replaced.
5. Visible Condensation Between Window PanesVisible condensation between window panes can indicate that the seals around your windows are damaged.
When it looks like windows have water inside of them, it indicates that the sealant isn't doing its job properly. As a result, warm air is escaping from your home through window panes, and cool air is entering.
If you see condensation, it's important to have the issue fixed as soon as possible to prevent increased energy bills.
6. Windows Are Single-PaneSingle-pane windows are considered outdated for most uses and should be replaced. They're not as energy-efficient as newer double-pane windows, and they don't insulate homes as well.
Replacing single-pane windows with double or triple pane windows will improve your home's energy efficiency. It will also help reduce noise pollution from outside.
Average Price Of Window ReplacementThe average price of window replacement in Colorado is $650. This includes the cost of labor, materials, and any other necessary fees.
Prices for window replacement normally range from $250 to $2,000, but larger projects with custom sizes can cost much more.
Total cost varies depending on the number of windows that need to be replaced, the type of window, and their size.
Average Price Of Window RepairsThe average price of window repairs is about $200 including labor, materials, and other fees.
Prices for window repairs normally range from $50 to $500 with simple damage such as cracked or chipped panes being cheaper to fix than serious damage, like broken glass.
Total cost varies depending on how many windows are fixed, which repairs are performed, and the materials used to complete them.
Upgrade Your Windows With Endeavor ExteriorsWindows are an important part of any home, and it's important to keep them in good condition. By being aware of the signs that your windows need replacement or repair, you can make sure that your home is well-protected from the elements.
If you're unsure whether your windows need replacement or repair, keep an eye out for the signs above. Windows that have them may need repairs or total replacement.
Do you need more assistance to tell whether to replace or repair your windows? This quick assessment determines whether or not your home's windows need maintenance.
Replacing windows is a big investment, but it will pay off in the long run by helping you save on energy bills and increasing the value of your home. To learn more about how your home can benefit from upgraded windows, contact us to discuss your questions and get a quote for window replacement.
Subscribe to Endeavor Exteriors's Blog