As residents of the beautiful state of Colorado, we find ourselves in one of our most spectacular seasons — Autumn! With the beautiful colors that most of us take for granted, your home checklist can fall to the wayside. It’s easy to get carried away with the kiddos homework assignments, trying to fit in that last mountain visit before the leaves fall, or just keeping up with life in general.
Do you have an Autumn checklist?
- Put the garden to bed for the winter ahead
- Drain the mower
- Store hoses and turn off outdoor water
- Winterize sprinkler systems
- Prune trees
- Get furnace serviced
- Clean gutters
- Get a roof inspection
Inspect your roof? Yep! Protect the investment that protects you! When it comes to the roof over our heads most homeowners only have a few requirements.
- They want the roof to work right (Keep water outside!)
- They want it to last a long time
- They want it to look good
A roof inspection is one of those preventative maintenance jobs that are easy to overlook. Don’t! A little prevention goes a long way towards keeping your roof damage free. The experts here at Endeavor Exteriors put together a checklist to get you started.
Your Fall Honey-Do Checklist
Tree Trimming: Abrasion from limbs and leaves that touch your roof will eventually damage shingles. Overhanging branches also give squirrels and other rodents access to your roof. They can gnaw on your roof and siding. We have about two dozen service calls a year due to this.
Branches should be kept at least 10 feet away from the roofline. Trimming your mature trees two times a year will be plenty, but quarterly if you have pines surrounding your home because of shedding.
Tree Trimming Companies: Always Google the service you are looking for and contact the top companies in your area that have great reviews.
North Denver: Fielding Tree and Shrub Care – 303-667-5004
South Denver: Taddiken Tree Company – 303-554-7035
Roofing: If you find piles of colored grit in the gutters that’s a bad sign – those sand like granules cover the surface of the shingles and shield them from the sun’s damaging ultraviolet rays.
You can do a quick inspection of the roof yourself. *hint — you can do a thorough inspection from the ground using binoculars. The less you walk around on your roof the better. Have a professional roof inspection to see if it’s nearing the end of its life cycle if you are unsure of anything. Below is a general guideline of what we inspect to ensure your roof is ready for Winter.
- Check for cracked caulk around pipe boots and vent
- Rusting areas on metal flashing
- Look for shingles that are buckling, curling or blistering
- Missing or broken shingles
- Cracked and worn rubber boots around vent pipes
- Missing or damaged chimney cap
- Masses of moss and lichen which could signal the roof is decaying underneath.
- Metro Denver and Surrounding Areas: Endeavor Exteriors – 720-536-8870
Gutters: Checking your gutters in an important part of ‘Winterizing” your home. Loose debris that clogs the drainage can cause a lot of unseen damage during the snowy months. Snow will accumulate towards the bottom half of the roof and in the gutters (where there is no heat from the attic) and will freeze and thaw, causing wood damage to fascia and soffits.
- Install gutter guards
- Have a professional gutter cleaning company out
- Check to make sure you have positive drainage in the gutters
Metro Denver and Surrounding Areas: Endeavor Exteriors – 720-536-8870
Metro Denver: Denver Gutter Cleaning – 720-238-3860
Attic: Checking your attic can be a daunting task, especially with no background knowledge of insulation or water intrusion. We recommend calling an expert for this. This is what they can look for, and you can look for before having a professional out.
- Inspect the Attic
- Check for any sagging between the rafters
- Look for mold & mildew around vents, joints and seams.
- Check for warped wood and stained insulation
- Verify that the attic is adequately ventilated
Metro Denver: EcoClean Mechanical – 720-299-7782
Metro Denver: All Tucked Insulation – 303-433-0935
If you find any signs that raise concern, especially if the roof is old or there has been a storm with heavy wind or hail, call Endeavor Exteriors and get a professional assessment. Adding a roof inspection to your fall and spring checklist and repairing any damage or issues quickly is an excellent way to add life to your roof.